Pages

23.5.17

My Never Ending Love Story with Celeris UK


Back in August a fellow equestrian invited me on a road trip to Cobham - or Hamcob as I could only remember it as - to join her voyage for beautiful boots. Being one of those invitations you simply can't decline, no sooner had I accepted I found myself online reserving a fitting with Cate the CEO of Celeris UK - when in Rome. I made a promise to myself I would follow my head and not my heart, easier said than done.

Stepping into the serene studio, I was greeted by a warm welcome and found myself surrounded by beautiful boots, belts and browbands, all hand selected by Cate's stylish eye. With a cup of something lovely waiting, the 115 mile journey long forgotten.

The studio has a fitting suite where Cate carefully takes twelve - yes twelve - measurements from the tip of your toes to the back of your knee, discussing your preference for fit and equestrian discipline. A thorough process I can liken to having a spray tan, when they ask you to stand in various positions to ensure perfection.


Chin up, eyes ahead!

Then on to choosing a boot, a leather - from the mere 48 swatches and growing - a colour, a finish, a popper, a seam, a toe...there is no limit and if it isn't available, Cate will make it her mission to source. Celeris really are makers of truly bespoke boots. The Miss Sensible in my head told me to choose a black dressage boot, whilst my heart wanted the latest Limited Edition leather...Black Cherry. My head won, only because my family were paying the deposit for my birthday and I felt a duty of care to choose a timeless classic. Black Passage boots in brushed black leather were the perfect match to my brief.

I ordered at a hugely busy time for Celeris, a sign of their bounding success meant my boots took the full wait time to arrive. Celeris reacted to this surge as quickly as is possible in such a bespoke business in-which master tradesmen are not born overnight and through hard work have not only cleared their wait-list but reduced the production period to between 8-10 weeks. As Cate, a true expert in the made to measure boot industry put it; "if your only concern is the wait time, what a great place to be".

Once I placed my foot into the elegant Passage boot made to my every measurement and perfect in every way, I understood. I would now echo Cate's comment to anyone if they ever felt this a concern.


My Passage boots are a work of art, the rigid outer structure lengthens my leg, whilst the inner panels of nubuck ensure a squeak free ride. The design of the boot benefits my position and my stirrup leathers have been dropped a hole, they give me the most amazing close contact feel, all whilst appearing timelessly elegant. They were and still are a bit of a wriggle to get into, the cost of my poor conformation, having teeny tiny ankles and bony feet. Yet once on they fit like a second skin, there is no question they are made to measure and although they took zero working in for riding, I still struggle not to walk like a toy solider on foot to the mounting block. Yet this is more for my desire to keep them clean than discomfort.

...my name is Jessica and I am addicted to Celeris boots



The Limited Edition Black Cherry leather recently became reality too, because of paying the deposit upon ordering and the final balance once they've arrived, the whole process I'd put off since my discovery if Celeris in 2014 for fear of lusting after the impossible was suddenly affordable when done this way. Celeris had my measurements, all it took was an e-mail to Cate and my order was whisked across to the team of dedicated craftsmen in Portugal. Within no time at all I was the proud owner of a pair of Diogo boots, made from buttery softer leather, these offer me a more hard-working, everyday boot I will not obsess over keeping immaculate - of course I will.



To me Celeris UK means attention to detail, perfectionism, ancient skill and craftsmanship. Cate and her Personal Assistant Iona are both riders and wearers of Celeris boots, their knowledge is invaluable when discussing your equestrian lifestyle and matching it to the right boot because the idea you walk in with, may not be the one you leave with. This is exactly how I have ended up with two pairs...and a wishlist of others. Thankfully client loyalty is hugely important to the brand and I am sure my Celeris love story will be never ending...

Jessica and Oscar.