Pages

29.8.16

Equine Stay-Away Checklist

I am currently wrapped in a duvet with tea on tap recovering from a three day Adult Camp adventure, turned disaster...I thought that a camping trip away with my pony sounded fabulous, after all we regularly holiday in Devon and Oscar is a dream, so what better than three days of training with my much loved pony?

When I booked in the Spring, I didn't realise the schedule of events wouldn't arrive until five minutes before the first activity would begin and it all felt a bit 'gung'ho' for someone like myself who is a thinker and the biggest lesson I learned is never to go again! I don't want to relive the experience therefore won't go into much detail but taking your gee gee on holiday to play at your own leisure is rather different to entering a yard with 19 other horses and riders with very little space and A LOT of noise.


However, if you are considering a horsey camp or holiday I felt prepared that I had packed everything required and thought it might be helpful to share my personal packing list that I broke down into sections;
FEED
  • TopSpec Lite Balancer - bagged into clear seal again plastic bags for each feed
  • Plus any supplements required
  • Apples/Carrots/Treats
  • Hay/Haylage
  • Haynet - Oscar eats his hay from the floor but his hay is soaked when away as no access to a steamer therefore haynet used just for soaking purposes
  • Large tub-trugg for soaking hay
  • Feed bucket
  • Water bucket
  • If water not available on tap close by, large water trugs/carriers
OSCAR
  • Rugs - consider turnout options, location of stable if applicable, upcoming weather forecast
  • Bucket for washing down, sponge, sweat scraper, Hibiscrub
  • Grooming kit - baby wipes = essential
  • First aid kit
  • Fly hoods and spray (weather time of year dependant)
  • JUMPING: saddle, bridle, appropriate bits, martingale, gp/jump numnah, OR boots, protective boots
  • FLATWORK: saddle, bridle, full saddle pad and bandages, OR boots
  • Wheelbarrow - a godsend if having to make numerous journeys back and forth to car park with heavy horsey gear
  • Enquire as to whether mucking out tools are required?
ME
  • Riding clothes for each day - considering I may get wet, dirty or sweaty!!
  • Casual clothes for evening
  • Wellies and waterproofs
  • Riding boots and spurs
  • Short whip for jumping/XC
  • Racesafe body protector
  • Riding hat
  • Gloves
  • Sleeping bag
  • Air bed
  • Pillow
  • Warm clothes for bedtime, including thick bedsocks
  • Tent - I cleaning my trailer prior to the event and stayed in there
  • Bottled water
  • Wine
  • Food/Nibbles....SUGAR!
  • Washbag
  • Towel
  • Mirror
  • Phone charger
  • Earphones

Please comment with anything I may have forgotten that is a must have for you when away...but I hope to first time travellers the list might be of some use :o)

Thank you for reading, Jessica and Oscar xxxx