Pages

24.9.15

Etrical Endurance Stirrups

I received an exciting e-mail early Summer 2015 from Etrical, offering me the incredible opportunity to put their safety stirrup through it's paces, I jumped at the offer and Etrical have been overwhelmingly supportive allowing me the whole Summer to use the stirrups in various equestrian disciplines to report back with an open, honest and comprehensive review of their safety stirrup.

I'd like to begin by explaining that Etrical stirrups are a product built around safety, designed by Yves Rainfray, a former competitive rider and equestrian professional. Yves noticed a gap in the market for a stirrup offering complete safety and decided to take an innovative approach and here is what he founded...

A simple structured one piece stirrup allowing free foot movement within the stirrup whilst preventing the foot from sliding too far forward and getting stuck - potentially very dangerous during a fall from a horse. The stirrups have a wide anti-slip footrest guaranteeing comfort whilst guiding the foot into the correct position and Etrical have a range of adaptors to fit their stirrup to any saddle/leather.

There are currently five designs, a style to suit every rider at any age, I chose to ride with the Randocal Endurance Openwork Stirrup, they're an extra strength stirrup, designed with long-rides in mind to suit our Summer hacking.


When I opened the box I was surprised by the size and I thought they looked big, but they aren't at all, it just took me a moment to change my mindset from the coat hanger like piece of metal I am used to seeing, and once my booted foot was settled in the footrest the fit was perfect with the stirrup no longer felt big. Oscar also didn't noticed the size as they swung backwards and forwards when we walked to the mounting block, he didn't bat an eyelid.


Once I had mounted...WOW, comfort, security, such relaxation in my lower leg and my seat altered slightly from the usual English straight back, shoulder, hip, heel style, what a pleasure they are to ride with! The tread on the stirrup is 13cm wide by 17cm deep and I leant something about myself I didn't know...my foot must move in my normal stirrups and I lift and lower my foot by habit to re-adjust my position maybe only lifting a few millimetres when I slightly loose my perfect foot position and I found myself doing it in the Etrical stirrups but it had no effect because my foot was so secure, I wasn't ever loosing or changing my foot position...but my body continued it's odd twitch for our first few rides?! Thankfully my foot...brain, began to trust the safety of the stirrup and I soon stopped this habit. 
This experience left me thinking how much confidence these stirrups would entrust into a novice or nervous rider the security they provide.


The stirrups are feather light yet feel durable and unlikely to crack, they're safe enough to take a knock. They come in four cool colours, being my usual safe self I chose brown and think they look super smart.

I have hacked, jumped, galloped and had fantastic fun using the Etrical stirrup this Summer, my favourite feature is their comfort, the wide base for my foot absorbed any shocks, relaxed my foot and reduced pressure in my ankles, not forgetting their incredible safety features, they're an "endurance style" stirrup that every rider can benefit from and enjoy.

My next challenge for my Etrical stirrups...to use while perfecting my sitting trot!

Cost: 31.50 - 59 Euro (P&P by courier) and a very special 10% discount for all our readers and followers with the code JESSICA10

Thank you for reading, Jessica and Oscar xxxx