Pages

30.4.15

Holkham Beach Ride

We went to the beach to get wind in our hair,

to stand on the sand and simply to stare.
To let the surf tickle toes and dampen our clothes
as we played 'run away' from the wavelets at play.

Memories Of The Beach - Poem by David Taylor


I love the sea, I am moved by it's power and beauty be it stormy or still it enchants me, I feel calm with the wind in my hair, the salty taste on my lips from the splashing waves and the healthy glow it gives me - also known as windburn. So when some friends invited me to take their horses to Lady Anne's Drive, Holkham Beach I jumped at the chance to tag along and although I wasn't fortunate enough to take Oscar (our day will come) it was an exhilarating experience that I recommend to all.



Holkham Beach is in Norfolk and open 365 days a year, you'll find a beautifully presented car park with a dedicated area for horseboxes and trailers at £12.00 per day and I was happy to see debit/credit card payment facility for those of us who like the Queen, never carry cash- as with any car park I can't stress the importance of locking your vehicle securely when you leave it, please don't let the excitement get the better of you. 


 After unloading the horses, we look a short ride through beautiful woodland, there was even a little log to jump...we weaved past the sand dunes taking care not to ride on them, to reveal the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. It was silent, the pure white sand stretching long and far in the distance as the bright blue sea rolled gently on the horizon, queue happy sigh....and that is where we spent our afternoon paddling the horses in the sea, some spooked at the waves, others showjumped them before heading for a gallop! A stretch of the four mile beach was walked prior to the horses being let loose, checking for soft, deep patches and once the riders were happy it was safe, set off for an exhilarating gallop or two...followed by many happy canters in the sunshine.

Enjoy the video, apologies for the naughty word at the start...the runaway dog is from a rescue charity, he has recently been re-homed and isn't used to such freedom, or fun!

I recommend you read this before visiting and be aware of tide times.

Not Oscar, but a close second, me having a ride on Marley pony.

Thank you for reading, Jessica and Oscar xxxx