Pages

8.11.14

Evison Equine English Leather Hunting Breastplate



Autumn 2014 officially started on Monday 20th September for the UK...and while I've enjoyed scrumping apples until late October, I have been desperate to dance in crunchy fallen leaves and wake to a fresh morning frost...finally this week the temperature has dropped and Autumn has arrived. Better late that never and by far my favourite season of the year, bringing with it an intense buzz of excitement as the hunting season kicks off. 

This easily turned my attention to my hunting breastplate, that I love and it's about time I shared it with you! Again it's from Evison Equine, the same brand as my bridle and crafted from beautiful English leather using a traditional design to compliment your hunting attire perfectly. Alongside this is ticks all the practicality boxes too, it has elastic inserts around the shoulders for movement and comfort with a sturdy leather neck strap (my favourite feature!!!).  The soft sheepskin chest pad is attached by velcro, making it easy to clean after a muddy days hunting and something I always use to avoid rub marks on Oscar's chest. There are many buckles so you can alter the breastplate for the perfect fit, with quick and simple D-ring clasps ensuring ease of use with the classic running martingale straps clipping on too (really important to me, Oscar can be quite sharp yet I don't like using a martingale for flatwork therefore when we go somewhere new, or we're feeling excitable I will often use the breastplate for security, minus the martingale). Oscar is a 15hh Connemara and wears the cob size comfortably, with the martingale straps being a perfect length, it also comes in sizes pony and full at the reasonable price of £65.00.

Today's review is definitely a case of less is more, the breastplate is simple and perfect in every way, therefore the pictures can do the rest of the talking and finish with this special poem that I love dearly...


The huntsman's horse, whether brown or bay,
or brightest chestnut, or sober grey,
whate'er his colour, a hunting day
is all the same to him, come what may.

When other horses, too full of beans,
unship their riders by artful means,
or kick each other to smithereens,
he takes no part in such ugly scenes.

He never bucks, or attempts to shy,
or play the fool if a car goes by,
or roll, or bolt, as do lesser fry,
on Monday mornings, when tempers fly.

He knows his job, and he's well content,
to leave the frills to the 'sporting gent'
whose hunter-chaser was never meant
for long slow hunts on a failing scent.
The Huntsmans Horse by Edric Roberts

Thank you for reading, Jessica and Oscar xxxx