Pages

4.9.14

Keeping Up With The Unicorns...NAF Mane & Tail D-Tangler


So why choose NAF Silky Mane & Tail D-Tangler? For me it only plays a small part in maintaining a healthy mane and tail as there are many other influences in achieving this, but I need a de-tangler in my grooming kit and it's cost is what first attracted me; RRP £9.99 - 750ml - this makes it one of the cheapest in the tack shop! And although it's one of the best value for money items, it does the job beautifully, it smells pleasant, it is not greasy, nor does it leave the tail feeling crispy, sticky or wet, it adds shine and this in turn detracts mud, dust and helps muck slide out/off the hair...need I say more?

Apologies for the wonky mane...we're growing it...at different speeds apparently...

I do not over brush Oscar's tail, I can't even bring myself to pull it...I love the thick, full, bouncy connemara-ness of it too much, so instead I pick shavings, brambles, twigs...out of it daily by hand followed by a spitz of NAF, Silky Mane & Tail D-Tangler towards the bottom half, wait a short time for it to dry then sweep my dandy brush lightly through any tangles, starting at the dock of the tail I gently brush the dock to loosen any dirt (this can reduce itchiness if your horse rubs their tail too) and stimulate growth. If your equine friend isn't blessed with the hair of a Kardashian then forget the dandy brush I use daily and just stick to a spritz and running your fingers through the tail as brushing can pulls hairs out that take years to regrow.

Due to Oscar having a white tail, I continue to wash it weekly with a gentle shampoo and after washing brush it through with an equine mane and tail brush with large spaces between the bristles, but this is the only time I use a brush on his tail. However, use the brush regularly on his mane...as Oscar has a short mane that doesn't tangle you may not think mane and tail conditioner is necessary however I spritz my brush then comb his mane to the right, using the conditioner encourages his mane to lay correctly and repel dirt! I would always recommend spraying it onto the brush as opposed to at your horse to avoid contact with their eyes and a lot of horses don't enjoy sprays around their faces - mine especially! 


Overall the NAF Silky Mane & Tail D-Tangler does a fantastic job and gives great value for money for everyday use, if you're struggling with a thin tail, other more expensive brands may offer more nutrients to encourage growth/strength but this ideally should come from the inside out so always review your horses diet as part of this process and please conduct a test patch before using any new products on your geegee. 

Thank you for reading, Jessica & Oscar xxxx