Pages

13.9.14

Bloomfields Horse Taxi

TAAXXXXXIIIII....


My birthday bought the most wonderful surprise a girl who owns a horse (& is well and truly penniless because of said horse) could wish for...transport!! Unfortunately it wasn't for keeps, but two of the most precious days that Oscar and I will cherish forever (thank you to Mum and Dad). 

I think, dream...ramble on about transport a lot...I would love transport for Oscar and I, hell I can even afford a trailer...just need to get my bottom in gear to take the trailer test - at almost £1000, god forbid I fail...not worth considering. Anyway...the real issue: changing my car. Buying a reliable vehicle that is capable of safely towing my precious pony...this most likely means a gas guzzling car...that will cost more than my economical Polo to tax, service, MOT and insure...not forgetting I will have to use it for the 300 miles of running around I do each week...and that is a fuel bill I can't face!

And then Bloomfields happened, my parents innocently hired me transport from one of the most elite companies in Europe, they're a leading manufacturer of 3.5 tonne horseboxes and it's easy to see why, nothing is too much of an ask, they shape the build completely around you, personalising every last detail. And there is a box to suit everyone as Bloomfields offer a range of five models that the buyer can tailor, purchase prices start at a reasonable £17,495+ VAT http://bloomfields.co/horsebox_models/
The whole range have been bulk tested to over four times the legal requirement assuring that all designs provide maximum crash impact safety and this theme of safety follows through the whole design process. The horse cell is tailored to the type of animal you will be moving, be it nervous travellers, broodmares & foals to stallions - they've already thought about it for you and aren't afraid to make recommendations about what is safest for you and your horse. 

It was a present in itself looking around the Bloomfields factory, most of the models were in stock so I had the privilege of seeing every shell, a clean canvas waiting to be transformed, sitting in each luxuriously padded seat, viewing the different horse cells and deciding whether I'd have a sink and hob in my wagon one day, all as the dedicated team of craftsman busily worked around us. A fascinating experience that soon led to dark thoughts as I considered holding mum and dad to ransom by explaining the quality of their future care home rested on the purchase of one of these fine vehicles, so we moved onto the Taxi to save my sanity. 

The Bloomfields Taxi is an excellent self hire transport service, to hire the dates can be conveniently reserved over the phone or via Facebook, email and a small deposit taken by cheque/bank transfer, I was given a simple name/address etc... form to complete and return on the day of hire with relevant identification at the reasonable cost of £99 per day, £175 for two - the lorry can also be hired for longer periods.

On the day of hire, Bloomfields were 100% accommodating, being flexible around the pick up and drop off times and presented the lorry well, freshly jet washed out with a full tank of fuel and off we went, I chose to drive it home and was totally overwhelmed at how easy it was to drive, even on the narrow Leicestershire lanes! I ruled the road...and loved it! Until the horses were on board....then I lost my bottle, having never driven anything bigger than a 3 door car, a horsebox with two precious ponies in transit blew my mind - please take note a 15.1hh spooky pants connemara and a 16hh freshly retired ex-racehorse happily walked onto the box with little fuss having ample space. En route to our first day trip the horses were quiet as mouses in the back, the on board camera reassuring me they were having a smooth ride and after a successful round of cross country followed by tea and cake I decided to drive back. I probably took the corners a little too slow and sympathised with the flow of traffic behind me but I did it! Safely! And easily...! And at this point knew how much more convenient and safe a lorry is compared to a trailer!
Day two saw me load and drive two horses to our showjumping destination and again drive back, which included a tricky hill start out of a junction that would certainly test the clutch of a car, but the lorry didn't notice and again I returned home full of confidence.


"Dad...I think the ponies want a Bloomfields, look how much they love it?!!"

The lorry was comfortable with three seats in the front and several saddle racks and hanging space for tack in the back, I have already mentioned the fantastic on-board camera and another feature I love about the lorry are the plastic lights in the horse cab area ensuring whatever time of day the stall looked inviting, even to the trickiest of loaders! Needless to say, I was sad to drive it back! Stopping by at the petrol station I was chuffed once again, as after zipping around for two days with two horses I'd only used £40 in diesel! 

Bloomfields are often at Country Shows, recently appearing at the Royal Dublin Show in Ireland, I'd encourage everyone to take a look at their vehicles...my mum fell in love with one because it had wood grain finish, complete with hob and sink...bacon sandwiches all round? Mum's are the best, haha! 
Their Facebook page Bloomfield Leisure Vehicles is a great place to take a look at some of their vehicles and also run impressive like and share competitions, an example of their quality...part of the prize is usually a Comfort Zone rug - I hope when I eventually save for my own box I get one of these too!
https://www.facebook.com/bloomfieldshorsetaxis

And the moral of the story....if you rent the Bloomfields Horse Taxi, it should come with a health (...or bank account) warning because you will come away wanting one...


I think we need a bigger drive...

Thank you for reading, Jessica & Oscar xxxx