Pages

27.4.14

Tri-Zone Open Fronted & Air-Lite Boots

A friend was selling a pair of Tri-Zone Open Fronted Tendon and Airlite Fetlock Boots by Equilibrium, although they were in white - not my first colour choice on grey horse - they were a good price and I have always wanted to try the Equilibrium Tri-Zone boot range, so I bought them!

The Tri-Zone Airlite range was launched after 3 years of research, undertaken by scientists, vets and riders and in 2011 won an innovation award at the British Equestrian Trade Association International Affair - BETA award for short :)
The whole range of boots are made from three protective layers;
The outer layer - this is made from a tough and durable EVA mesh (a soft, flexible plastic), with a protective strike area at the back of the boot, the outer layer is hard wearing, yet still flexible, it is designed to disperse concussion.
Inside the boot - is a highly protective TPU guard, this protects the vulnerable tendon area from penetration strikes. (Thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) is any of a class of polyurethane plastics with many useful properties, including elasticitytransparency, and resistance to oil, grease and abrasion. Technically, they are thermoplastic elastomers consisting of linear segmented block copolymers composed of hard and soft segments - I had to google, I hadn't a clue what TPU was...I feel empowered I now understand the technology more)!
The middle layer - is a densely woven tough mesh, this prevents debris from entering the boot. The middle lining is made from shock absorbing EVA, these platforms allow heat to escape to the air-vents cut into the surface of the lining, these platforms have been positioned to maximise comfort and provide even pressure. 
The range - three boots, the Tri-Zone Airlite Allsports Boot, Tri-Zone Airlite Tendon Boot and Tri-Zone Airlite Fetlock Boot.
I am reviewing the latter two...

As I don't have any stationery pictures of Oscar wearing these boots I thought this one would make you smile and you can see the boots in action!!

The Tri-Zone Airlite Tendon Boot, is one of the lightest on the market and includes the above protective features, both this boot and the Tri-Zone Airlite Fetlock Boot have an additional fastening strap for security with a handy grip tab at the bottom for easy removal, and smart elastic straps for easy fitting. 



All of the above I agree with and found these boots to be breathable, flexible and smart looking my only concern was with the Tri-Zone Airlite Fetlock Boots, I found them to be too chunky on my 15.1hh connemara, he kicked out in them when I first put them on him and had a buck in canter and kept kicking out as they were brushing together too obviously (he does travel a little close behind, therefore please consider this may not be the case with all horses dependant on confirmation) because of this I prefer slim brushing boots and may not try fetlock boots again for some time...

Price, the tendons RRP at £49.99 and the fetlocks at £39.99 - brand new I wouldn't purchase these and would be more interested in the Tri-Zone Airlite Allsports Boot, I'd love to hear your thoughts if you've tried the Tri-Zone Airlite range please...


Thank you for reading, Jessica & Oscar xx