Pages

19.1.14

Keeping Up With The Unicorns - Magic Brushes



I have used Magic Brushes since June 2013, during the Summer they were handy at bath time and to help remove excess coat from Oscar but no better than your average rubber curry comb and I didn't really get what all the fuss was about. However, since moving into Autumn/Winter I have chosen to use them more often, here are our successes and failures in trialling the brushes against their key selling points;
  • 'Removing dirt and gently cleaning the sensitive parts such as joints and bone'
The bigger the dirt/mess the more successful they are, especially proving their worth with mud, stains from laying on dirty bedding (both very appropriate for this time of year) and dried on sweat etc... I use one brush on the face/body and another on legs and feathers - even tail occasionally, as long as it isn't too knotty. Oscar's legs are unclipped and he often has big clumps of mud stuck to his knees where he has knelt down to roll and Magic Brushes are gentle enough to use in a circular motion to break down the mud. (Only for him to do the same again the next day, that's my boy). 
An example of some of the mud my Magic Brushes tackle...
  • 'Ideal brush during change of coat and can be used on any kind of horse hair'
I have used Magic Brushes on Oscar's Summer, Winter and clipped coat and he has always been comfortable - including using it on his tail, as I mention above (just to get loose shavings out of before a ride/turnout etc...). I also touched on earlier that I have used Magic Brushes on a changing coat but wouldn't recommend these to help a horse shed their coat, a rubber curry comb would be less labour and much more effective.

  • 'The brush is 100% waterproof and nearly indestructible'
Fully waterproof, and a great tool for bathing, I use it as a little massage for Oscar in circular motions - roll on Summer so I can bath again!
As for being 'nearly indestructible' because they don't have any grip to them, a negative point is that I often throw them out my hand mid-groom resulting in my Magic Brush flying across the yard at speed (heads!), I don't know how this happens, Oscar doesn't even flinch now - good pony - and thankfully doing this doesn't damage them. 
On my most used Magic Brush some of the bristles have bent at the edges, as the picture shows of my purple brush...I think the final indestructible test will be giving it to the dog to chew...has anyone tried this, did it survive?
  • 'The brush is also perfect to be used as sweat scraper'
Been there, done this, as above, the brushes don't have very good grip and nothing beats your classic sweat scrapper with a good old fashioned handle. But a Magic Brush would be practical if you were travelling light.

  • 'If necessary the brush itself can be washed in the washing machine'
After careful consideration I have decided NOT to test this one out with my Magic Brushes, as they have bits of sand, dust and dirt in-between the bristles. But, I would feel confident to stick them in a bucket with hot water and washing up liquid without it being damaged, however I tap my Magic Brushes against a hard surface and the dirt falls out (as the above picture shows) - this is good enough for me!

  • 'Cleaning the hoof/frog/sole'
The image of red Magic Brush being used to clean a horses sole/frog is on the official Magic Brush website - http://www.magicbrush.com/en/pferdepflege/ - however, this isn't something I have tried, or think I will. Magic Brushes are stiff and inflexible so wouldn't give me access to the sides of the frog as a softer, smaller brush does.
If anyone reading has cleaned feet (your horses, not your own) with a Magic Brush, please share your experiences in the comments box below :o)

  •  'Magic Brush frees your equestrian clothes and riding equipment from horse hair and dirt'
Fact! Fact! Fact! So well that from the pack of three I purchased, I keep one separate which I use to scrape dried mud/horse hair from my jodhpurs/coat, or remove Oscar's white hair or shavings from his black numnah, (yes, I said shavings...on more than one occasion I have dropped his numnah in his bed). It works great on wellies too with a splash of water but I wouldn't recommend using it on leather as I tried this and had to use a pressure which could mark tack/leather, so I wiped it with a damp cloth prior to cleaning, again the old fashioned ways are often the best!

Cost, est. £12.00, cheapest place I found to purchase them from is Amazon.
I was recommended Magic Brushes as a 'MUST HAVE' for owners of grey ponies, I wouldn't agree entirely with this comment, I like them and yes they are handy to have in my grooming box but I could live without them.
Please share your Magic Brush experiences...

Thank you for reading, Jessica & Oscar xx